The church dates from the C12, perhaps around 1125 or 1140. Its walls are rendered malmstone. Originally, it may only have been a primitive rectangular form comprising a nave and chancel. It may have had tiny round headed windows where the present nave arches now stand. Around 1180 the south wall was pierced and a narrow south aisle was created. The two eastern Norman arches of this south side date from this time. The pillars/piers here have trumpet capitals. The third one dates from C13 and the fourth is probably from the C19 improvements. The south door is Norman inside and C13 Early English outside. At some time in the C12 a small side chapel was added at the north east corner and a low tower was built at the north western corner. Around 1200 the north wall of the nave was pierced with Norman arches and a north aisle was formed to link the tower and the side chapel. The capitals of the north aisle are more sophisticated than those on the south side. They are moulded and the arches have slight chamfers. There are faint traces of paint on the eastern face of the third pillar of the north aisle. The figure of a saint or angel in a Gothic arch is shown. The interior of the church may once have been colourful with several such paintings. During the first quarter of the C13 a new and larger chancel was built. The two south-facing lancet windows in the chancel date from this time. The other windows in the chancel are later.
More information can be found at History of Steep
You may also like to become a Photo Walk UK Affiliate and earn by referring customers to this website…..